Loading ...

In Excel: "Errors were detected while saving..." | CLEARIFY

Posted in: QQube    Microsoft Power Pivot

In Excel: "Errors were detected while saving..."

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hello community,

This question might be in the wrong  section of the forum or it may not even belong here at all, please let me know. We have a user which is using QQube, Powerpivot and Office 2013 64bit version. The error he is getting is the following: "Errors were detected while saving 'filename/location'. Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or reparing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel."

If we click on Continue, it does not repair anything and another message follows that it cannot save the file at all. This has happened multiple times while using Excel, pulling data from QQube and then manipulating the data within Excel. The annoying thing is that we are unable to replicate the error at a consistent level - the only pattern I have noticed is that it happens most after pulling data from QQube and then moving the data into Excel.

Attached is a screenshot of the error in Excel. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced something similar, this is a known Office 2013 issue, or if we have to reach out to MS about this instead.

Things I have checked:

-Location of files are on network shares; I already did assessment of network

-Workstation hardware; Completed a format of the computer but issue still persists

-Office updates; Office is currently on latest updates (unless there is a bug in an update?)

-Ram memory; only few programs opened while error occurs, memory usage @~60%

errors were detected while saving

Thanks.

Attachments
  • We have noticed this behavior internally when using multiple instances of Excel PowerPivot - with no rhyme or reason to it.  But what we have noticed, is that this only occurs when you have two powerpivot excel sheets open, and you back and forth between or the other.

Doing research on this error message, it happens to Excel users, whether QQube is part of the worksheet or not.  The .xlsx file is actually a 'zip/compressed' file containing many other files and components, and if one of them gets corrupted, then the whole sheet gives you the error message.

Research also shows that one software company submitted this as an Excel bug to Microsoft, but don't know if it got fixed.  We use 2016 and 365 internally.

Same with researching the big sites Mr. Excel and PowerPivotPro.

Have you tried saving the files to a different directory?  e.g. local? to see if the behavior changes?

Found this article: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/excel-cannot-open/wjvCA2lMIGc 

Also found this article on Repairing a corrupted workbook: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repairing-a-corrupted-workbook-7abfc44d-e9bf-4896-8899-bd10ef4d61ab?redirectSourcePath=%2Fen-us%2Farticle%2FRepairing-a-corrupted-workbook-e5b49891-dde7-4796-b60a-49b0d2478a62

In our cases, we usually recreate the spreadsheets from scratch, and that eliminates the issue with the particular spreadsheet.

You might be able to unzip the .xlsx file to see the various components, and see what people like Mr. Excel, or Rob Collie at PowerPivotPro have to say.  The component files are mostly .xml, etc. That is they are readable.

• Answered

Well, it is found that the error is caused due to a bug in excel file. To fix the error save your data in a new Excel document or discard the changes and repair the original document. To save changes you made to your document, copy the worksheets you changed to a new Excel document and save it.

To repair the Excel deleting any Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) projects from your document. This will help you to repair the Excel file or else make use of the MS Excel Repair tool, to repair the corrupt, damaged and errors in Excel file.

The Entire information is taken from: http://www.repairmsexcel.com/blog/fix-corrupted-excel-file-to-save-at-network-location-2/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign=bl

• Yup I have experienced and its annoying as heck. I have gotten into the habit of saving often.

• Answered

Resolve any kind of error regarding to MS Excel file, try the inbuilt utility, "Open and Repair" from Microsoft. It will defiantly help you to resolve all kind of issues. For more information, visit- https://msofficerecovery.blogspot.com/2014/04/resolving-excel-error-file-error-data-may-have-been-lost.html

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)