Loading ...

Different Fiscal years for different Quickbooks companies | CLEARIFY

Posted in: QQube    Suggestions and New Ideas

Different Fiscal years for different Quickbooks companies

Subscribe to RSS
  • Looking for a work around to be able to set Fiscal year for different quickbooks companies. Currently run reports for companies with calendar year fiscal year as well as companies with non-calendar year fiscal year. Does anyone have a work around?

I'm requesting this as an item to strongly consider for future development.

Thanks!

JP

• This has been requested previously, but the first post.  Thank you for this.

Currently, you could bucket any of the detail analytics e.g. sales, general ledger detail, job costing, etc.  as you can actually control at the daily date level (and filter out the company).  

Second we have both calendar year dimensions and fiscal year dimensions.  So it is easy to take job costing, let's say, and use the fiscal year dimension to bucket your information - if you have just one fiscal year that is different from a calendar year.  But multiple fiscal years would require multiple fiscal year calendar dimensions - something we don't currently have.  

If you wanted to aggregate something with different fiscal years, you could just use Excel PowerPivot, Access, Crystal, PowerBI to create calculated fields.  e.g. for this company include these dates as period 1, for this company include those dates for period 1.

In Version 6.2 due out 1/16/2018 we have something new called a "freestyle" profit and loss summary, that has aggregation options down to the day.  It is an enterprise only function however.  But again you could use custom calculations to bucket information from companies with two different fiscal years.

With regard to the financial summary, to have everything come out in the correct buckets, should be doable.  What is probably not doable is the Excel Add-In, because we program the column headings according to the fiscal year setting.  So we would be stuck with Period 1 thru 36 in those instances. 

Do you have a need to aggregate period 1 of company "a" that might be January, and period 1 of company "b" that might be June?  Or is aggregation not even involved?  

Feedback for need would be very helpful as we study this more.

• Thanks for your reply.

First, is the 6.2 version release a full upgrade?

Do you have an example of the aggregate function using Excel PowerPivot?

Also, regarding the following, we need to aggregate for period 1 of company a that is January and period 1 of company b that December.

This is the first month with a different fiscal year reporting with December as the period 1 however most of the reports still have YTD info based on the January period 1.

If schedule allows, I would appreciate a quick call on this please. 239-444-9251.

Thanks!

• John Paul,

If using Power Pivot, I would consider adding a period table which maps the periods for each company.  Period 1 for company "a" is Jan 1, Period 1 for Company "b" is June 1, etc.  Then create a relationship between your new period table and the calendar. via the fiscal start date.  Then you can run a period 1 report for all companies for period 1.    Or add a calculated column to calendar table for each company, showing period number based on calendar date. (easy to set up with excel)...  just ideas.. PP also has a YTD function which allows you to enter in the 'fiscal year end'.. it might be useful.  If I were generating reports for you, I would probably use GLDetails and create my own financials or use the new "freestyle" mentioned above.  This allows you the greatest flex with your reporting periods.     

• Answered

QQube Version 10 now allows you to choose whether you want to have all company files on the same starting fiscal year, or use the fiscal year as indicated in the QuickBooks file.

This, as a result of this post.  Thank you for your suggestion, and helping us to get better.

Realize of course the Excel Add-In can only have one set of fixed period dates, so this will be more beneficial in other applications like Power Pivot, Power BI, Crystal, etc.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)